Theme: Authentic Creation
Length: 90 Minutes
Target Audience: K-College teachers (easy to modify for any grade, any class)
Attend this session and learn how to bring the writing process to life with digital storytelling. A simple six-word story, created as a video with six unique camera shots, allows students of any grade level the ability to tell a powerful visual story. In this full day workshop, Don will take you through a unique project that addresses the fundamentals of media literacy and filmmaking, as well as the digital storytelling process, allowing you to create your own project by the end of the workshop. You will be able to replicate the entire process and customize it to meet your own curriculum goals. This workshop is based on Don’s book Six-Word Story, Six Unique Shots: Enhancing Writing Through Multimedia.
By the end of this workshop, participants will be able to:
1. Have a step by step guide to an effective lesson that will enhance their student's writing process through a multimedia project.
2. Understand the importance of building on our student visual literacies by using the an iOS device for video and editing.
3. Learn an alternative method of addressing the Common Core State Standards, by incorporating this lesson, which addresses digital implementation, visual literacies and media literacy
4. Reflect on a current lesson or unit to begin preparing this project to integrate into their own curriculum immediately.
5. Practice the hands-on lesson and activity of creating their own video.