Theme: Authentic Creation
Length: 90 Minutes
Target Audience: K-College teachers (easy to modify for any grade, any class)
Explore effective tips and strategies to empower your students as citizen journalists. Learn important interviewing skills that will help your students share the stories of your class, school, and community. Use simple apps, along with free content on iTunes U to support the creation of informational texts for your videos using the built-in media resources on iPad. This session is based on Don's book Interview an Expert and iTunes U course Become a Citizen Journalist.
By the end of this workshop, participants will be able to:
1. Have a step by step guide to an effective lesson that will enhance their student's writing and communication process through an interview project.
2. Understand the importance of researching material, connecting with an "expert", using the an iOS device for video, and conducting an interview.
3. Learn an alternative method of addressing the Common Core State Standards, by incorporating this lesson, which addresses digital implementation, visual literacies and media literacy.
4. Reflect on a current lesson or unit to begin preparing this project to integrate into their own curriculum immediately.
5. Practice the hands-on lesson and activity of creating their own video.